×

Change Language

FI EN
×
×

Lutheran Church

Church of a Hundred Angels

Church of a Hundred Angels

The main church of the Lutheran parish was built in 1796 by Henrik Johan Mechelin. It seats up to 800 people. It is also known as the Church of a Hundred Angels for its colourful wall paintings by Samuel Elmgren between 1830 and 1832.

In the church yard you can see the monuments of a well-known clergyman Henrik Renqvist and a missionary Pietari Kurvinen, and also two tombs of clergy families, the Molander and Hjerppe families.

A wooden monument to the four churches that burned down earlier is seen on the nearby hill.

Henrikintie 2, Ilomantsi

+358 400 364 200

Open
25th June–12th August
Monday–Sunday 11:30am–5pm

 

Kivilahti Borderland Church

Kivilahti borderland church was built in 1954. It was designed by architect Toivo Pelli. The altar crucifix was carved by Uuno Poikonen and the church bell is an old bell from Lavansaari church that former belonged to Finland. The church seats up to 120 people.

Near the church there is a rectory, available for different festivities.

Taivaanpankontie 1, Kivilahti

To visit, call us at +358 400 364 200.

visit website

 

Naarva Borderland Church

Naarva borderland church was built of logs by local carpenters in 1958. It was designed by architect Toivo Pelli. The altar crucifix was carved by a local teacher Sulo Leppänen.

The church seats up to 120 people and in the same premises there is a small hall for festivities.

Naarvantie 354, Naarva

To visit, call us at +358 400 364 200.

visit website

 

 

alt
VisitIlomantsi